Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yesterday's News

Well folks, I had a good run.  It's been a blast but my rookie status had to end sometime.

The world, America, and Traverse City, Michigan added one person last Saturday.  My cousin Weston.

I have to agree with Mama who, upon seeing these photos at 2am, shouted "Oh my GOODNESS he's so cute!"


Seeing him all bundled up like that reminds me a bit of myself at his age.  So innocent.  Full of nothing but potential and the potential for jaundice.


But of course Weston's emergence means my days as The New Guy have come to an abrupt close.  In the back of your mind you always know the day is coming, but when it finally arrives it tends to catch you off guard.  Now just like that I've become little more than one of those weird older cousins he'll be seated with on holidays and who try to talk him into doing things like this:


You know what they say, that youth is wasted on the young.  Frankly I tried to squeeze every last drop out of my weeks on top.  (And by 'on top' of course I mean on bottom.)  Still I can't help but feel I may have squandered, say, an opportunity to spit up every now and then.  But that's a young man's racket.  And I certainly don't intend to cling to yesterday while the sands of time shift beneath my supine torso.

Of course that doesn't make it any easier to step beyond the only life you've ever known.  But I face my new reality with a sense of optimism and a head that can almost support itself.

Besides, I've been looking forward to showing somebody the ropes. So when I have the extreme pleasure of meeting Weston in person a few weeks from now I'm holding nothing back, opening up my entire body of work: Red Man, Jaguar, the aggressive wake up squirm which removes most of the hair from the back of your head, adorable smile with just the slightest hint of tongue extension, and even my latest and greatest....steadily increasing freakout whenever someone other than mom or dad is holding you.  

But he seems pretty advanced already.  I've only just gotten into grasping.  


Weston's been doing it since day one!


I am looking forward to finding out if I've missed anything in the womb lately.  Hard to believe I haven't been back in almost three months.

Anyway, welcome to the world 'Cuz Weston.  Can't wait to awkwardly pretend to "meet you" very soon as though either of us has any control over our arms yet.

Love,
Older Cousin Will


1 comment:

  1. Older Cousin Will,

    I can't wait to meet you and have you show me all the ways of the world. After all, you have 3 months on me... you will always be the wise one.

    See you soon!

    Love, Younger Cousin Weston

    ReplyDelete